- 15 ml (1 tbsp) vegetable oil
- 1 chopped white onion
- 2 sliced leeks
- 2 finely chopped garlic cloves
- 2 chopped celery
- 2 sliced carrots
- 540 ml (19 oz) diced tomatoes
- 1 litre (4 cups) vegetable broth
- 450 g (1 lb) veal tortellini
- 500 ml (2 cups) chopped and compacted fresh spinach
- 10 ml (2 teaspoons) dried thyme
- 10 ml (2 teaspoons) dried basil
- 60 ml (4 tbsps) fresh cream
- 30 ml (2 tbsps) finely chopped fresh oregano
- Salt and black pepper to taste
- In a large pan, heat oil and brown onion, leeks, garlic, celery and carrots for 3-5 minutes, stirring.
- Add seasoning and continue cooking for 1 minute.
- Add the can of tomatoes, vegetable broth and tortellini; bring to a boil.
- Reduce at low heat, cover partially and simmer for 15-20 min or until tortellini are cooked.
- Add spinach and cover for 5 minutes.
- Salt and pepper to taste.
To serve, top each soup bowl with 15 ml of fresh cream and a good portion of chopped fresh oregano.